The Master Mundus Program «German and French Philosophy in the European Context» (EuroPhilosophie) offers to the best students worldwide a specialized advanced course of study of two years in the fields of German and French philosophy and their interaction in Europe’s intellectual and cultural space.
Each year thirteen students from outside the European Union are offered stipends of 21.000 Euros to participate in the Program, and thirteen students from the European Union receive financial support for study abroad by the Erasmus Program.
– Over the course of two years, the students chosen for the Master Mundus EuroPhilo spent one or two semesters at a total of three of the seven European universities that form the consortium of the Master Mundus Program EuroPhilo.
– The students then write a research thesis under the direction of a researcher-teacher of the university at which they spend the final two semesters of their work in the program.
– Students receive 60 credit points (ECTS) for each of the two years of study.
After the successful final examination, each student is awarded European Master’s diplomas from three participating universities.
– At the beginning of each academic year the Master Mundus «German and French Philosophy in the European Context» gathers all its students for an orientation seminar at the University of Luxembourg. The academic supervision and the course work of the students enrolled in the Master Mundus EuroPhilo is provided by selected faculty with international standing in their specialties.
– The Program Master Mundus EuroPhilo is made up of a core of survey courses and research seminars that are already in operation at the universities of the consortium and that have been recognized for their quality. In addition, special seminars are organized by each participating university to assure the breadth and depth of the curriculum of the Master Mundus EuroPhilo.
The three thematic axes of the Master Mundus EuroPhilosophie are:
1. classical German philosophy from Kant through German idealism (Fichte, Schelling, Hegel) to Marx, Schopenhauer and Nietzsche
2. contemporary French philosophy from Biran to Bergson, Foucault and Deleuze
3. German and French phenomenology.
– The Master Mundus «German and French Philosophy in the European Context» is intended to contribute to the creation of a world-wide community of research and teaching in philosophy.
– The application form for students can be obtained at
The universities of the consortium are:
– Université de Toulouse 2 Le Mirail , France, courses in French – cordonating university
– Ruhr University Bochum , Germany, courses in German
– Université Catholique de Louvain-la-Neuve , Belgium, courses in French
– University of Luxembourg , Luxembourg, courses in French and German
– Ludwig Maximilian University Munich , Germany, courses in German
– Charles University Prague , Czech Republic, courses in French and German
– University of Wuppertal , Germany, courses in German
– Students enrolling in the Master’s Program Euro Philo must have a Licence or a Bachelor degree in Philosophy (180 ECTS) or equivalent qualifications.
– A command of written and spoken German and/or French is also required.